Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Review: GRAVE MERCY by Robin LaFevers

This is 25th book I've read this year.

Why be the sheep, when you can be the wolf?

Seventeen-year-old Ismae escapes from the brutality of an arranged marriage into the sanctuary of the convent of St. Mortain, where the sisters still serve the gods of old. Here she learns that the god of Death Himself has blessed her with dangerous gifts—and a violent destiny. If she chooses to stay at the convent, she will be trained as an assassin and serve as a handmaiden to Death. To claim her new life, she must destroy the lives of others.

Ismae’s most important assignment takes her straight into the high court of Brittany—where she finds herself woefully under prepared—not only for the deadly games of intrigue and treason, but for the impossible choices she must make. For how can she deliver Death’s vengeance upon a target who, against her will, has stolen her heart?









Christian beliefs: They mention God once.


Other belief systems: They have their saints. Which they have all there own talent, or ability. Think Greek gods, but they're saints. Ex: Death, love etc...


Language: they used d---ed, but not in a wrong way, really. And they say "Good Jusu" or something like that often, I think it's like saying the LORD's name in vain, but using someone else's name.


Violence: Poisoning, killing, blood. A usual medieval war book. But it's all the time mind you.


Romance: In the beginning of the story, young Ismae gets married, and her new husband is oh too glad to get things going, (if you get my meaning) nothing happens, just her husband makes her take all her clothes off, and he sees the scar, and goes all ballistic. (coward ;)) There's kissing, and they do have sex, but it's not even noticeable if you truly understand the meaning. Some people might wonder why she's taking off all her clothes. But otherwise than that, it was a sweet romance. :)


Comments:


Good points:

I love medieval books, it's cool to learn history while reading a fictional book. lol. I loved Ismae's voice, and her dedication to her convent and those she loves. 
There was so much in this book! It's hard to cover it all, I love the tension between Ismae and Duval, I knew the moment they started arguing, they were going to fall in love. ;) (it's so obvious!)
I loved how she was taught by nuns. Nuns. Assassin nuns. Who would ever thought that nuns would be teaching and know how to kill someone...It kinda blows your mind. O.o

I laughed, cried and hated this book. Which means I really liked it. I think if I would want to have a friend, it would be Ismae, she's awesome, she kinda reminded me of my friend, who's a little older than Ismae.

I really don't have anything else to say, just that this book was 549 pages of awesomeness. 

It took me 7 days to finish this book, but it was SO big!!

Negative points:

I don't think I hate any, just that is was so big....O.o lol . And even though have sex, it was to help someone, but it could still have been avoided.

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.

Can't wait for book 2!!! Spring 2013, really?

-Maddi

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you guys have to say! But make sure it's clean. I will try and reply. Thanks for taking time to comment/read my blog!