Friday, May 18, 2012

Review: OBSIDIAN by Jennifer L. Armentrout

This is the 26th book I've read this year.

Starting over sucks.


When we moved to West Virginia right before my senior year, I'd pretty much resigned myself to thick accents, dodgy internet access, and a whole lot of boring.... until I spotted my hot neighbor, with his looming height and eerie green eyes. Things were looking up.


And then he opened his mouth.


Daemon is infuriating. Arrogant. Stab-worthy. We do not get along. At all. But when a stranger attacks me and Daemon literally freezes time with a wave of his hand, well, something...unexpected happens. 


The hot alien living next door marks me.


You heard me. Alien. Turns out Daemon and his sister have a galaxy of enemies wanting to steal their abilities, and Daemon's touch has me lit up like the Vegas Strip. The only way I'm getting out of this alive is by sticking close to Daemon until my alien mojo fades. 


If I don't kill him first, that is.






Christian beliefs: Katy asks Daemon if he believes in God, and he answers: "He seems like a pretty nice guy." Not saying that anyone believes in God in this book, but it's good to hear some positive about him. 


Other belief systems: Aliens my friends, aliens.


Violence: Arum attack people, someone dies, people get hurt. Katy's mom works at a hospital.


Language: Where do I even start? Well...the D word is used, so is the S word. And they use the LORD's name in vain a lot. (I tried to ignore it most of the time.) And so many others...so just a warning, there are a   LOT of swear/cuss words.


Romance: Katy's date to the dance isn't as charming as she hoped. There are a couple kissing scenes, the first one is really passionate, but the way Jennifer was making us all wait for the moment, I think it was alright. *winks*. But sex is mentioned sometimes, but it never happens. Spoiler: Daemon and Katy get into a bed together, but it's just bc she needs protecting, and she's scared. (he could have been a gentleman and slept on the floor....).


Any other bad things: One time, Katy forgets to wear a bra, and Daemon comes on over. (embarrassing...) course, women don't wear some, I think as long as they're covered, it's not unmodest. But it would help if they did wear one...lol


Comments:


Good points:


Jennifer put together a great plot. I have been waiting to buy this book for a long time...and I got the second edition! So glad I waited. (I haven't read all the bonus material in it yet. I needed to take a break and write this review.) My plot was in this book sorta. With the whole alien/light/shadow thingy. But it was a really great book.
I loved Katy's voice and character. She reminded me of me. (without the swearing and kissing passionately.) She wants to help, she doesn't want to be hurt, she doesn't like it when boys are jerks. (I don't either.) she just seemed like a girl I would like to be friends with. (minus the swearing etc...) I think she'd be a good role model. (without the etc....) She also blushes a lot, and I do that so much when I lie, or embarrass myself. She also hated being embarrassed, and when some girls are just plain mean, she didn't say anything to her, she just kept her cool. (well...most of the time...)
I loved how, in the summary, we knew that Daemon is an alien, but Katy doesn't find out until the middle of the book. So it was fun 'teasing' Katy. I knew what he was, so it was fun to see her figure it all out.
I also loved how Daemon was a jerk, but he was also all soft inside too. He had respect for Katy, even though he wouldn't show it.

Negative points:

The swearing just isn't necessary. There are words called 'shoot' and 'darn'. We don't need to break out all the language. Sure they were being real jerks, but you don't have to call them the B word. And using the LORD's name in vain is so sad. He CREATED you, and this is how you repay Him? Sorry. I'm moving on now...
Also, the writing wasn't that hard for me too read, after reading Tom Sawyer and Anne of Green Gables, I can honestly say that an adult should write a teensy bit better than that. But that's just my opinion.

All in all, the plot, the characters were all great. And I enjoyed this book very much. :)))

Rating: 4 out of 5

Can't wait for ONYX! 

-Maddi

PS: Jennifer, I LOVE your name. It's really creative. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you guys have to say! But make sure it's clean. I will try and reply. Thanks for taking time to comment/read my blog!