Thursday, May 3, 2012

Review: Sweet Venom by Tera Lynn Childs

This is the 22nd book I've read this year.

Grace just moved to San Francisco and is excited to start over at a new school. The change is full of fresh possibilities, but it’s also a tiny bit scary. It gets scarier when a minotaur walks in the door. And even more shocking when a girl who looks just like her shows up to fight the monster.

Gretchen is tired of monsters pulling her out into the wee hours, especially on a school night, but what can she do? Sending the minotaur back to his bleak home is just another notch on her combat belt. She never expected to run into this girl who could be her double, though.

Greer has her life pretty well put together, thank you very much. But that all tilts sideways when two girls who look eerily like her appear on her doorstep and claim they're triplets, supernatural descendants of some hideous creature from Greek myth, destined to spend their lives hunting monsters.

These three teenage descendants of Medusa, the once-beautiful gorgon maligned by myth, must reunite and embrace their fates in this unique paranormal world where monsters lurk in plain sight.





Christian beliefs: none.


Other belief systems: Greek myths, Greek gods, monsters.


Romance: There was *NO* kissing in this book....I mean, I *need* kissing. (not really). But it was kinda good to read a book without a bunching kissing, but I was kinda hoping it would happen...you know....
But, Grace likes her brother, Thane's friend, Milo. And it's really clear he likes her. And Gretchen keeps wanting this one boy, Nick to leave her alone, but he doesn't. And Greer has a boyfriend, but not really sure she likes him, since he seems to annoy her a lot, with his surfing dude talk. (hehe.)


Language: Hell is used quite often. And each girl has their own way of being upset without swearing. Greer's was "sugar" ;)


Violence: They're destiny is to fight monsters. They have to bite them so they go back to where they belong, then there's some blood. But just once. 


Any other bad things: Nope.


Comments: 


Good points: 


 I love Greek mythological books. So I was excited to read this, even though Percy Jackson has really only been those kind of books I like. But this one was a close fave. I love that's it from 3 points of view. I like seeing the 'boys' in each girls life. And I'm excited to see what happens....*wins* And I always like books with big brothers in them, and then, out of nowhere, they have other relatives. (I wrote a book about that before...) I love their own personality's. Gretchen is the tough girl, who's known about her destiny most of her life. Grace, with her geek skills, and awesome grades. (I'd say I'm more like Grace) Then there's Greer, the snooty, I've-got-it-all girl. 
I loved learning more about Medusa and her sisters. I never really learned much about her sisters, I learned more about Medusa herself.


Negative points:


I know that Greek myths are well...myths. But it bugged me that she changed the myth about Medusa. I mean, people acutally BELIEVE this stuff probably. So changing it probably isn't a good idea. But the change was a good one, it made me think about Medusa in a whole new way. (even though she isn't real.)
Most of the time, I was like...why does she keep repeating this? I know what their destiny is. I think maybe she was just trying to add more pages to the book. Which isn't a bad thing, but I was like 'I know this already...'

Overall, I loved this book. It's always good to get back in the Greek stuff.

(SWEET SHADOWS comes on in August...I don't think I can wait that long..."

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

-Maddi



1 comment:

  1. Great review, Maddi! I also LOVE anything mythology related, and Percy Jackson rocks. This sounds like something I need to read!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you guys have to say! But make sure it's clean. I will try and reply. Thanks for taking time to comment/read my blog!