Sunday, June 3, 2012

Review: EVERNEATH by Brodi Ashton

This is the 31st book I've read this year.

Last spring, Nikki Beckett vanished, sucked into an underworld known as the Everneath, where immortals Feed on the emotions of despairing humans. Now she's returned- to her old life, her family, her friends- before being banished back to the underworld... this time forever. 

She has six months before the Everneath comes to claim her, six months for good-byes she can't find the words for, six months to find redemption, if it exists.

Nikki longs to spend these months reconnecting with her boyfriend, Jack, the one person she loves more than anything. But there's a problem: Cole, the smoldering immortal who first enticed her to the Everneath, has followed Nikki to the mortal world. And he'll do whatever it takes to bring her back- this time as his queen.

As Nikki's time grows short and her relationships begin slipping from her grasp, she's forced to make the hardest decision of her life: find a way to cheat fate and remain on the Surface with Jack or return to the Everneath and become Cole's...



Christian beliefs: Nope.


Other belief systems: This book was a retelling of the myth of Persephone. You know, the one about Hades liking Persephone, and how he just had to have her, so he kidnapped her...did you get it? Ok. So there's myths about the Ancient Greeks, which I love.


Language: The S shirt is used, and so is the D word. But that was it. :)))) And it wasn't used all the time, just when it was 'needed'.

Romance: Kissing, hugging, nothing too forward, which I really liked. :)

Any other bad things: The Everneath is like hell, so every human that goes to down with a Everling is liked a Forfit. And once the Feed is gone, they either get to Return to their old life, or go to the Tunnels. And if you choose to Return, the Tunnels will come for in in 6 months. So it might not be something to read to a child, but I didn't scare me.
The Feed happens once every 100 years. Where a Everling takes a Forfit down and they have to stay in a coccoon like place, and the Everling will Feed off their emotions. It keeps the Everlings alive.

Comments:

Good points:

I had been following Brodi on Twitter for awhile, but I never got around to acutally reading her book. I hadn't even read the summary yet. But when I read the summary, I was like...oh yeah, Greek myths. And since Percy Jackson, I hadn't really read any good Greek myth stories. And I needed one. And this was did a pretty good job of it.

I loved the whole 'love triangle' thing. It wasn't really a love triangle but Cole and Jack both cared about Nikki, but she only really felt drawn to Jack, even though she had spent 100 years with Cole in the Everling.

I couldn't really connect with Nikki very well, I felt like I could connect with Cole way better than any other character. Nikki seemed quiet in most places, and then happy in others. And when she spoke, there wasn't any emotion in her voice really. But she did seem like someone I would like to be friends with.

Jack is the name of my pet goldfish, so my fish was in love with Nikki. ;) I wasn't really rooting for Jack, I'm a bad boy girl. Even though I would never want to date one, so I was all for Cole. And Cole had such a great name, it just fit with her personality so well. And he had blonde hair! Ah! Another quality I love in my fictional crushes. ;) (that and curly hair...)

Negative points:

I didn't like how the scenes went really fast, they sound like my books with their in the editing process, fast, and not staying in one scene long enough. I also didn't like how Nikki didn't just tell her dad where she'd been. It probably would have not made him think she had been using drugs and all that. And how he made her go to community work, parents like that drive me nuts. O.o lol

All in all, I really enjoyed this book, but the ending was so sad! Everbound better come out soon, and the novella from Cole's point of view! :p

Rating: 4 and a half stars out of 5.

-Maddi

1 comment:

  1. I am so thankful that I found your blog! I am a mother of an 11 yr old daughter and have been searching the internet for 2 days reading reviews of this book. She came home with a form from school asking me to give my approval for her to check it out (because it was YA). You gave me EXACTLY all of the information I needed to make this decision! Great job! I will be bookmarking your blog and visiting often!!! Thank you so much!!!

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you guys have to say! But make sure it's clean. I will try and reply. Thanks for taking time to comment/read my blog!