Sunday, June 10, 2012

Review: Hemlock by Kathleen Peacock

This is the 34th book I've read this year.

Mackenzie and Amy were best friends. Until Amy was brutally murdered.

Since then, Mac’s life has been turned upside down. She is being haunted by Amy in her dreams, and an extremist group called the Trackers has come to Mac’s hometown of Hemlock to hunt down Amy’s killer: A white werewolf.

Lupine syndrome—also known as the werewolf virus—is on the rise across the country. Many of the infected try to hide their symptoms, but bloodlust is not easy to control.

Wanting desperately to put an end to her nightmares, Mac decides to investigate Amy’s murder herself. She discovers secrets lurking in the shadows of Hemlock, secrets about Amy’s boyfriend, Jason, her good pal Kyle, and especially her late best friend. Mac is thrown into a maelstrom of violence and betrayal that puts her life at risk.

Kathleen Peacock’s thrilling novel is the first in the Hemlock trilogy, a spellbinding urban fantasy series filled with provocative questions about prejudice, trust, lies, and love.



Christian beliefs: I'm pretty sure that Mac and her cousin Tess believe in God. 

Other belief systems: None.

Language: Not very much in this book, if there was more, I didn't catch it. Just a lot of using the LORD's name in vain, and them saying "I swear to God I'll..." which is, a big deal.

Romance: There's kissing. And someone talks about a rape drug. (but no one acutally gets raped.) And someone sleeps with someone else. (they just talk about it, you don't have to read it.) And Amy and some other guy share a bed, but that's it. She's scared, and wants someone with her.

Any other bad things: Since there are werewolves, there's killing, and blood, and how some body parts need to stay inside your body...err.....

Comments:

Good points:

I've never read a book about werewolves before, and this book really surprised me. I like how in the begining, werewolves are condisdered evil, and bloodthisty, but as the story progresses, they're just like us, just...hairy-er. 

Like most main characters, I couldn't really feel Mac. Like, at all. But she was still enjoyable to read about. I think characters who talk the most are the ones I can relate to. (me being able to talk a lot.)

I love Mac's and Kyle's relationship. They seem like great friends, and could. *cough* maybe be more...:)

The mystery is awesome too, I love reading mysteries, I love trying to solve them, and towards the end, I figured it out (mostly) before Mac and the others did.

It's not as scary as everyone says it is either. So you don't have to worry about that. :)

And the way Kathleen wrote the love triangle was GREAT. So all you love triangle haters out there, you'll probably like this one. ;)

Negative points:

Nothing really...:)))

Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.

Can't wait for book2!

-Maddi

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you guys have to say! But make sure it's clean. I will try and reply. Thanks for taking time to comment/read my blog!