Friday, September 7, 2012

"No Gumption" - A Writer NEEDS Gumption

I had to read this memoir by Russel Baker in LAC class today. And the last two paragraphs made me "LOL!"

I thought I would share them with you:

"Buddy," she said, "maybe you could be a writer."

I clasped the idea to my heart. I had never met a writer, had shown to previous urge to write, and hadn't a notion how to become a writer, but I loved stories and though that making up stories must surely be almost as fun as reading them. Best of all, thought, and what really gladdened my heart, was the ease of the writer's life. Writers did not have to trudge through the town peddling from canvas bags, defending themselves against angry dogs, being rejected by surly strangers. Writers did that have to ring doorbells so far as I could make out, what writers did couldn't be classified as work.

I was enchanted. Writers didn't have to have any gumption at all. I did not dare tell anybody for fear of being laughed at in the schoolyard, but secretly I decided that I what I'd like to be when I grew up was a writer. - Russell Barker, "Growing Up"


This was so funny, the fact that it took "no gumption" to be a writer made me laugh. Writers need gumption, or we wouldn't get anywhere. lol. But one of the main reasons I became a writer was because, no, I don't have to run away from dogs, or try to talk to strangers. (in person) I feel comfortable. And yes, I love to make stories, and they're just as much fun was reading them. (possibly even more fun.)

And the boy's sister in this story is younger than him, and has gumption. She likes to get out there and talk to strangers, and say hi to dogs. That sister is just like my little sister. Which made this even more funny.

But one thing is for sure: you need gumption to be a writer.

-Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you guys have to say! But make sure it's clean. I will try and reply. Thanks for taking time to comment/read my blog!