Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Why being OCD helps during NaNo

You might be thinking this: "what's OCD?" Answer: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.

Now you might be thinking: "What's Obsessive Compulsive Disorder?" Answer: everything has to be the way that the person wants it. NOTHING can change, it has to be PERFECT. Example: I need to go through my morning routine IN ORDER. And if it doesn't, I imagine the worse will happen. It's different for everyone, for me, I think my greatest fear will happen, if I don't do everything right. For others, they're afraid, if their compulsion doesn't get done, a plane will crash somewhere.

(I'm a selfish OCD person. XD)

Ok, back to the post:

Why does OCD help during NaNo?

1. When I set a word goal, IT GETS DONE. No buts, no nos. IT GETS DONE. No matter what.

2. You always reach your word count!

You see, I set a word goal for everyday of NaNo this year. 3,000 words a day. This is a lot for me, and when I think about just slimming down to even 2,500, (or even 2,999 O.o) I can't. This might be hard for you non OCD people out there to understand, but once it's in our head that it needs to happen. IT HAPPENS.

This is why I'm at 19k right now in my novel. On day six. Because my OCD doesn't let me slim down.

Sometimes, I hate my OCD, like a lot. It's really hard most of the time, sometimes, I can't leave my bedroom without straightening an almost invisible crinkle in my bed spread. And you're actually not supposed to give into your OCD, but during NaNo...I think it helps. ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm not upset that I've written 19k in six days. I'm glad I did, even though my OCD stinks.

So there, in case anyone was curious on why I'm at 19k on day six. ^ That was your answer.

Go forth, and continue your lives! Write on!

-Madison

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you guys have to say! But make sure it's clean. I will try and reply. Thanks for taking time to comment/read my blog!