Thursday, November 3, 2011

Review: THE IRON KNIGHT by Julie Kagawa

This is the 84th book I've read this year.

WARNING THIS BOOK IS THE FOURTH BOOK IN THE IRON FEY SERIES, DO NOT READ AHEAD IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO READ A LOT OF SPOILERS.

Summary from: www.goodreads.com





My name- my True Name- is Ashallyn'darkmyr Tallyn. I am the last remaining song of Mab, Queen of the Unseelie Court. 

And I am dead to her. 

My fall began, as many stories do, with a girl... 

To cold faery prince Ash, love was a weakness for mortals and fools. His own love had died a horrible death, killing gentler feelings the Winter Prince might have had. Or so he thought. 

Then Meghan Chase- a half-human, half-fey slip of a girl- smashed through his barricades, binding him to her irrevocably with his oath to be her knight. And when all of Faery nearly fell to the Iron fey, she severed their bond to save his life. Meghan is now the Iron Queen, ruler of a realm where no Winter or Summer faery can survive, 

With the unwelcome company of his archrival, Summer Court prankster Puck, and the infuriating cait sith Grimalkin, Ash begins a journey he is bound to see through its end- a quest to find a way to honor his vow to stand by Meghan's side. 

To survive the Iron Realm, Ash must have a soul and a mortal body. But the tests he must face to earn these things are impossible. And along the way, Ash learns something that changes everything. A truth that challenges his darkest beliefs and shows him that, sometimes, it takes more than courage to make the ultimate sacrifice.


First off, I just want to say that, this is one of the books that I found...rushing a little too much. Don't get me wrong, I loved the plot and everything, but there were a lot of words that were used a lot. It's like reading a paragraph with too many 'so's' in it. But I loved the plot and the characters.
You get to know Ash a look better than you did before. You can see what he's been thinking this whole time.  Also, I got this book on Monday of this week, and finished this morning at 8:00am. I stayed up 3 hours reading it last night. That's probably why I slept until 10:00 this morning...

I'm sure Team Ash enjoyed this book very much. But me being Team Puck...it was a little hard to read. *winks*

Alright, let's get started:

Christian beliefs: the words 'sin' is used, but that could work with any religion.

Other belief systems: Magic, faeries, the power of love. *winks*

Language: I found this book being the only one in the Iron Fey series that had the least cussing and swearing. Which I was grateful for. Well, here's the langauge: I did not read the LORD's name being used wrongly. Which I was so glad about. h--l, b-----d, a-s, b---h and idiot was used. That's it for the language.

Romance: Well, to start off, there are only like three kissing scenes in this book, but those kisses were very important. :) And Ash thinks about Meghan all the time, and how he has to get through his almost impossible journey to be with her. And he's always thinking about Ariella, is former love that was killed a long time ago. And Ash and Meghan sleep together, but what really upset me, is, Ash and Meghan have kissed and slept together at least twice, and it bothers me how SPOILER:  once Ash and Meghan got married, it wasn't the first time they kissed and the first time they slept together. And it made me want to cry. I am waiting, and on my wedding day will be the first time I kiss any man. At least, that's what I'm going for and I really hope that's how it ends up. :) Wow, that was a very long paragraph...

Any other bad things: There are fighting scenes and a lot of ketchup, (if you get my meaning) and people and creatures die. It's like Narnia, and Lord of the Rings, battles and descriptions of what happened and such, but nothing too gruesome every happens. Not that I read though, I skipped through some things because I'm a very impatient person and wanted to get on with things. lol

Comments: Aside from the ones up there, I'd say this book was really good and I enjoyed it. It made me cry in some places, I'm never a crier about things like that, I've only cried during one movie, and that was...no, it's too embarrassing, fine, Hotel for Dogs. Yes! I know, so humiliating. But I never cried watching it again though. But I came pretty close this time, and those were happy tears, opposite of the ones for Hotel for Dogs, that movie was...*sniff* *sniff* so sad at places....*clears throat* ok, rating time. 

Rating: I'd give it 2 out of 5 for any age AND 4 out of 5 for awesomeness.

Thank you for reading my review!!

Make sure you check out Julie Kagawa's website at: www.juliekagawa.com

Keep dreaming!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you guys have to say! But make sure it's clean. I will try and reply. Thanks for taking time to comment/read my blog!