Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Review: THE SON OF NEPTUNE by Rick Riordan

WARNING: THIS IS THE 2ND BOOK IN THE HEROES OF OLYMPUS SERIES. IT ALSO HAS SPOILERS FROM THE PERCY JACKSON AND THE OLYMPIANS SERIES AS WELL.



Son of Neptune----> (Blue Bunny wouldn't put it down)


Summary from: www.goodreads.com

Seven half-bloods shall answer the call,
To storm or fire the world must fall.
An oath to keep with a final breath,
And foes bear arms to the Doors of Death.
 

Percy is confused. When he awoke from his long sleep, he didn't know much more than his name. His brain fuzz is lingering, even after the wolf Lupa tol him he is a demigod and trained him to fight with the pen/sword in his pocket. Somehow Percy manages to make it to a camp for half-bloods, despite the fact that he has to keep killing monsters along the way. But the camp doesn't ring and bells with him. The only thing he can recall from his past is another name: Annabeth 

Hazel is supposed to be dead. When she lived before, she didn't do a very good job of it. Sure, she was an obedient daughter, even when her mother was possessed by greed. But that was the problem - when the Voice took over he mother and commanded Hazel to use her "gift" for and evil purpose, Hazel couldn't say no. Now because of her mistake, the future of the world is at risk. Hazel wished she could ride away from it all on the stallion that appears in her dreams. 

Frank is a klutz. His grandmother says he is descended from heroes and can be anything he wants to be, but he doesn't see it. He doesn't even know who his father is. He keeps hoping Apollo will claim him, because the only thing he is good at is archery - although not good enough to win camp war games. His bulky physique makes him feel like an ox, especially infront of Hazel, his closest friend at camp. He trusts her completely - enough to share the secret he holds close to his heart. 

Beginning at the "other" camp for half-bloods and extending as far as the land beyond the gods, this breathtaking second installment of the Heroes od Olympus series introduces new demigods, revives fearsome monsters, and features other remarkable creatures, all destined to play a part in the Prophesy of Seven.



Christian beliefs: ...


Other belief systems:  The Olympian gods. Both Roman and Greek. And the myths and stories that go along with them.

Language: Percy can understand what horses are saying because his dad is Poseidon, the god of the sea, and he created horses, so what I am getting at is that, one horse cusses. But Percy never says what he says. He almost says the other word for your button. But he stops. The author also says that Percy and Frank cuss like a horse. But he doesn't say what they said. Thank goodness.  Also, they say. "oh my gods" and "oh gods" a couple times.

Romance: SPOILER: Hazel kisses Frank on the lips. But the author doesn't describe it. It's a cute, sweet moment. Hazel also kisses Percy on the cheek. The author describes it as a 'sisterly kiss' which I found very sweet and cute. :) SPOILER: And Percy thinks about Annabeth, his girlfriend, all the time, and how much he misses her.

Any other bad things: There are fight scenes. The author describes the blood sometimes, but nothing horrible. (believe me, I've read worse than what's in this book) and also, Tyson hits another Cyclopes's groin. It's actually kind of funny how the scene goes down. All you read is someone saying that it's sensitive and then that's about it. 

Comments: I loved every second of it. I admit, I would have gotten it done earlier, but I am a teen, and a teen needs sleep. So, I fell asleep, meaning to pick up the book, but didn't. (my light got left one a good many nights) I also blame Rick for making the book so awesome, my imagination was going crazy with new plots and ideas. hehe 
I love how it's so kiddish, but for my age as well. An adult would enjoy this I'm sure. I love how the romance isn't too high, and that it's cute and sweet. Like a romance everyone wants. (at least, that's what I want) And I love how most of the couples were friends and then they started to date. But I must admit, I didn't like how Hazel likes Frank, who is 16 and she's 13. BUT, she died and then came back to life 70 years later. But still...
Well, I loved it. It was amazing. I can't wait for the 3rd book. (it'll be called: The Mark of Athena and it comes out Fall 2012. A WHOLE year!! Gah!!)

Rating: 5 out of 5 for AMAZINGNESS!
And, 5 out of 5 for ANY AGE. (kids that can understand that is, you could read it to a little kid. (3 or 5) but I doubt they'd understand what was going on.)

Thanks for reading my review! This was my 85th book I've read this year. :D

-maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you guys have to say! But make sure it's clean. I will try and reply. Thanks for taking time to comment/read my blog!