Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Review: PALACE OF MIRRORS by Margaret Peterson Haddix

This is the 88th book I've read this year.

This is a spoiler free review. :) (my first ever)

Summary from: goodreads.com

Cecelia lives like a peasant girl, but she knows she is truly a princess, hidden away as an infant for safety and replaced by a decoy commoner. When danger finds her in her small village, Cecelia decides it is time to act, setting out to claim her rightful place on the throne. But when she and her best friend Harper venture to the capital city and into the famed Palace of Mirrors, they discover that all is not as it seems, and that they have placed themselves in more danger than they could have imagined….


Christian beliefs: They don't say that they believe in Jesus Christ. But they do say things like. 'Thank God'.

Other belief systems: None. :) Besides saying things like 'fabled' which could possibly be directed towards magic. But they never say that it is magic.


Language: Well, they never say anything bad words, but they say things like, 'idiot' and they say like 'curses' like, not...'I curse you' but like, they say lines like, for example, 'blast the dark one's sneezes!" hehe.  There are a couple of those in there, but they're harmless, and quite funny. :)


Romance: Well, there is one kiss (on the lips mind you.) and the author says that the characters weren't sure how to turn their heads to kiss each other. lol. They say things like 'marrying' and 'the best knight's hand in marriage' and how they are, and how going around together. (boy and girl) isn't allowed. But that's it. :) But I liked, I didn't have to read anything too, serious.


Any other bad things: They enemy is always out there, and that they want to kill the 'true princess'. And someone gets hit with a harp. And a dog jumps out at Cecilia. And Harper (Cecilia's best friend) and Cecilia make fun of each other by jokes that, if you would have said to anyone else, you would get their feelings hurt. It's like...'you can only say it to your friends' jokes. If that makes any sense.

Comments: I loved it. It was a great read. With no bad words, nothing bad. And I would let my sister read this. But the only thing that bothered me, and it has nothing to do with the book, it's that this book was up in the teen section in my library. I think it belongs in the kid section. I think a ten year old or even younger that could read this. Depending on what their parents let them read. :)


Rating: 5 out of 5 stars for amazingness.
And 5 out of 4 stars for any age. (because of the little romance and a little violence)


-maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you guys have to say! But make sure it's clean. I will try and reply. Thanks for taking time to comment/read my blog!