Monday, April 30, 2012

Review: The Selection by Kiera Cass

This is the 21st book I've read this year! I read most of the book while listening to Mozart. I think it fit.


For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.




And also the book trailer, bc I like to spoil you guys...


Ok, now with the review:

Christian beliefs: Nope.

Other belief systems: Nope.

Language: Hell is used wrongly, and d--n is used.

Romance: Ok, so you know that America has a boyfriend, right? Well, his name is Aspen, and they kiss a great deal. But it never goes past kissing. But they do talk about getting married one day etc. Which I think is romantic how comfortable they are with one another that they talk about to each other about those things. And of course, which this is pretty obvious, Maxon and America kiss. But not like Aspen and America kisses. More sweet like kisses. Gentle. But they were both cool. <3 hehe.

Vi0lence: Well...if you want to count trying to rip a dress of another girl and leaving nail marks, violence. There ya go. ;) And of course, the rebels try to attack the palace, and some people die. (no one we know, though. There, I gave you a good spoiler.)

Any other bad things: The man that comes to check with America about her getting chosen for the Selection is awkward. He asks her if she's a virgin, and of course, how would that make you feel (if you were a girl) to have a man ask you that? Well, America was very upset about that. And the man seemed a bit shady to me.

Comments: I WAS SO EXCITED TO GET THIS BOOK IN THE MAIL. So when it came, I sat right down and began reading. I probably would have finished it in one day if I hadn't had an awful headache. I loved the beginning, I loved stepping into America's world. It was good to meet her boyfriend, Aspen. Even though I called him a jerk once or twice. *coughs*. I love their relationship, they seemed so comfortable with each other. And I think the best line I liked the most was this: "Why we married young, waiting was torture." And I'm sure a lot of you would agree with this. Not so much with me, for that reason, just because I want to start having my own family. *content sigh* Ok, back to the review:
The only part I didn't like, was the middle. I was getting bored, Maxon seemed like a boy, not a man. He seemed like another Louis the...uh...the guy who married Marie. Ok, sorry. But that's what I was experiencing. Maxon didn't seem to know how to talk to a girl, and I was kind of  hoping that he would have some kind of personality like a bad boy. But he didn't. But towards the end, I started to love Maxon a bit more. He seemed like man towards the end. I also didn't like how one point, America was fine, then she was running through the palace and she couldn't breathe, and she was crying. Then, she yelled at the prince. Which is like in every story, the girl yells at the guy, and they fall in love.
But what I really liked, was how Kiera writes. She writes like me, she doesn't want to spend a whole lot of time on the description. I didn't need it, I just imagined the places by myself. I didn't need the description. Kiera just wrote down the talking, and America's thoughts. Which are my favorite parts. I tend to skip through description, bc sometimes, there's just too much of it.
The book was an easy read, it didn't take a lot of time to finish. But, it wasn't written to perfection, but hey,  that's how Kiera writes. We should get to know exactly how they write, instead of covering it up with lots of editing etc.

Ok, there's my long 'comments' section.

You guys should read this book. Go buy it. Or request it from your library.

Rating: 4 out of 5 stars.

-Maddi

PS: I can't BELIEVE where it cut off!!! Spring 2013??? Torture, I say. Torture....

1 comment:

  1. You forgot the violence done to the maid Lucy. You might add that, it was slightly traumatic...

    ReplyDelete

I love reading what you guys have to say! But make sure it's clean. I will try and reply. Thanks for taking time to comment/read my blog!