Thursday, April 12, 2012

Review: UNEARTHLY by Cynthia Hand

This is the 17th book I've read this year.

In the beginning, there's a boy standing in the trees . . . .
Clara Gardner has recently learned that she's part angel. Having angel blood run through her veins not only makes her smarter, stronger, and faster than humans (a word, she realizes, that no longer applies to her), but it means she has a purpose, something she was put on this earth to do. Figuring out what that is, though, isn't easy.
Her visions of a raging forest fire and an alluring stranger lead her to a new school in a new town. When she meets Christian, who turns out to be the boy of her dreams (literally), everything seems to fall into place—and out of place at the same time. Because there's another guy, Tucker, who appeals to Clara's less angelic side.
As Clara tries to find her way in a world she no longer understands, she encounters unseen dangers and choices she never thought she'd have to make—between honesty and deceit, love and duty, good and evil. When the fire from her vision finally ignites, will Clara be ready to face her destiny?
Unearthly is a moving tale of love and fate, and the struggle between following the rules and following your heart.
Christian beliefs: Not sure it's Christian really, but Clara and her family are part angel. And they talk about God a lot. And they call Him the Almighty as well. Some people mention church. But I'm not really sure that Clara actually really 'believes' and worships God, even though she's angel. I think she just finds it annoying that she is.
Other belief systems: Didn't read about any.
Violence: Clara gets hurt, she dislocates her shoulder. A bear tries to attack Clara and Tucker. But nothing serious.
Language: There was only one word, it was d--n. And a couple people use the Lord's name in vain. (which is ironic, considering that this book is about angels...)
Romance: kissing. hehe. Hand holding. Cuddling. Kissing. Fishing and kissing. I could go on forever. 
Any other bad things: Nope. I think I covered everything. :)
Comments: At first, I wasn't going to read this book because it was about angels. And I don't really like reading about books about angels. I mean, if this stuff was real, God would have put it in the Bible. In Genesis, God does mention about 'fallen' angels. But this is way different than that, even though they are technically part angel. (they don't like to be called fallen angels.) But the thing is, some of the angels are really fallen. But if you were part angel, (which I highly doubt) you would be the daughter or son of an fallen angel. Because why would an angel leave Heaven...ok, I'm done ranting now.
I loved this book overall. I liked how there were twins, Wendy and Tucker. Because I have friends that are twins. And this was actually the first book with the type of first person writing that I liked. (like 'I say' or 'I sit') I can't wait for the 2nd one to come in. :)
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars.
-Maddi

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you guys have to say! But make sure it's clean. I will try and reply. Thanks for taking time to comment/read my blog!