Saturday, December 3, 2011

Review: Leaving Fishers by Margaret Peterson Haddix

This is the 89th book I've read this year.


Summary from: www.goodreads.com

A new girl in town joins a cult-like religious group until an outrageous act forces her to reexamine her values and find a way to break free.

Christian Beliefs/Other belief systems: Well, here we go...The Fishers of Men group or 'cult' is all about following God's rules, and what is in the Bible, they just don't take it the right way. They make people do things that God would never want them to do. But they do know that Jesus died for them, and that if you don't accept Christ, you would go to hell, they just don't understand that if you mess up, or don't pray enough, or something else crazy, you'd go to hell even though you were saved.

Language: They use the LORD's name in vain once. And Dorry (the main character) thinks that someone will call her an idoit. And they use sex a couple times, which isn't bad, it's a thing that husband and wife do when their married, but I know to some people it is, so I'm going to tell you, but not in a bad way...like...it helps tell the story, but it also says how messed up a certain person is, and how some people fell for it. It acutally  made me want to cry. It was so sad.


Romance: They use sex sometimes, and lust and liking someone, or saying that someone was hunk, or that he cute. And some guys joke around about girls being there, since girls and boys weren't allowed to mix in the Fishers until a Level Two. (I know, weird). And a girl named Lara said she laid with any guy who wanted her, because she felt lonely, but she stopped that when she joined the Fishers. 


Any other bad things: I think I've mentioned anything that would bother somebody, just that Dorry gets sick, and fasts so much that she looses weight, and her grades go down, and she gets like, no sleep because of all the praying the Fishers told  her to do.


Comments: I LOVED IT!!! It really tells you about what other people really believe, It was also kind of test, I am a Christian, not afraid to say it either, so it was kind of interesting to see what the Fishers believed. This is by far, the most awesome book I've read this year, and it took me 87 other books to find that out! lol. I hope you guys take time to read it. It might make you cry in some places, just a warning. But a cry now and then ain't to bad. :)


Rating: 5 out of 5 stars for AMAZINGINGESS
3 out of 5 for any age. (I think only teens and up should read this, and maybe a 12 year old, and it all depends on your parents allowance with certain books)


-maddie

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love reading what you guys have to say! But make sure it's clean. I will try and reply. Thanks for taking time to comment/read my blog!